Health and Wellness

The Office of Student Affairs serves as the location for health and medical service information. The Residence Life Staff can assist resident students with minor first aid needs, but all students requiring additional care will be referred to off-campus medical care providers.

Health Insurance

All university International students and all traditional undergraduate students enrolled in seven or more units, who are actively taking courses on campus or living in the residence halls, are required to have health insurance. A student health insurance plan is available to all University students, providing access to sickness and accident coverage for them and their dependents. Students must be actively enrolled and attending classes to be eligible for coverage. A brochure listing the extent of coverage is available in the Student Affairs Office.

No student health insurance program pays 100% of the claim submitted. Anticipate some personal cost following your visit to a medical facility. Students are encouraged to utilize insurance coverage with parents when available, and to investigate the options before requiring service. Many private HMO plans have geographic limitations. Students should confirm that their provider will cover claims incurred at local health service facilities near the campus.

Health Insurance Waiver/Enrollment

All traditional undergrad students are required to complete a form to waive or enroll in the student health insurance plan offered by HIU through Kaiser Permanente. In order to waive the health insurance plan, Domestic students are required to provide proof of viable coverage. Enrollment in the health insurance plan is mandatory for all International students. Detailed instructions are provided to all students via their student email and portal. Printed instructions are available in the Student Affairs office on the second floor of the Lawson-Fulton Student Center.


The following immunizations must be current for all Hope International University Students and required for all International students attending Hope International University or living on campus. 1. Tetanus Diphtheria (current in the past 10 years), 2. Measles Mumps Rubella (2 dates needed), 3. Polio, 4. Tdap, 5. Hepatitis B (3 dates need), 6. Mantoux Tb Skin test within past year, 7. Menomune (Meningococcal) (1 date). Copies of immunization records are required to be on file in the Student Affairs Office.

For more information, please visit Kaiser Permanente's website.

Hope Counseling Center

The Hope Counseling Center provides high quality counseling and consulting services at a low cost to University students, faculty and families as well as to the local community.

Go to Hope Counseling Center