Posted: March 24, 2020
UPDATE: March 24, 2020
Dear HIU Students,
On Thursday, March 19, 2020, Governor Newsom issued a stay at home order to protect the health and well-being of all Californians and to establish consistency across the state in order to slow the spread of COVID-19. The stay at home order is in effect until further notice. Accordingly, the Fullerton and Anaheim campuses will remain closed until further notice, with the exception of work related to facilitating distance learning and essential functions.
What does this mean to you?
· All residents who can return home are strongly encouraged to do so. Please email Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org check-out procedures.
· The residence halls will remain open and we will continue to provide limited, “grab & go” style food service, which will include three meals per day.
· If you plan to stay in the residence halls please email email@example.com your intent to be on campus and any dietary restrictions you may have.
· For residents that will remain in the residence halls, each resident will live in separate rooms to ensure we can maintain social distancing protocols. Your flexibility in these alternative room arrangements is appreciated.
· To arrange for the pickup of your belongings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org schedule pickup times. Housing will issue an email shortly which will include instructions on how to communicate with us your plans for your property.
Traditional undergraduate classes and MFT semester classes will be taught online beginning Monday, March 30, 2020 through the rest of the semester. Please expect to receive additional information on the transition to the online learning format this week from your instructors.
Although the campus bookstore is closed, it remains open online at http://www.hope.bkstr.com/to meet your needs and currently all online orders have free shipping. For all students who have rented textbooks and have a deadline in place for returning/checking them in at the end of the semester, please watch your email for updates on an extension to the due date until June 18, 2020. With the bookstore closure, you may ship to the store free of charge via FedEx. You can sign into your account and print a free shipping return label to ship back to the store. On the Rentals page, click “Return all Rentals by Mail” to begin. To avoid any late fees, please return all rented books to the bookstore by the return date. You will continue to receive reminders as the due date approaches, along with a link to be able to print your return label.
If you have any questions, please contact Robert Mercado, Store Manager, at (714) 992-5911 or email@example.com.
Due to the closure of the Fullerton and Anaheim campuses, we are deeply saddened that effective April 1, 2020, work shifts will no longer be available for the balance of the semester, with very limited exceptions. Please contact Stacey Gerhart, Director of Career Development, at (714) 879-3901 x 2309 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.
Our Thursday Chapel has moved online! Please expect more information soon on how to connect with other Royals as we worship the Lord and learn from His word online. If you have any questions regarding our online Chapel, please contact Joey Ross, Director of Campus Ministries at (714) 879-3901 x 1294 or email@example.com.
Wellness and Mental Health
We have several resources to help you cope with any stress and anxiety you may be experiencing during these unprecedented times:
· Hope Counseling Center, (714) 879-3901 x 1266
· Joey Ross, Director of Campus Ministries, (714) 879-3901 x 1294 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· Stacey Gerhart, Director of Career Development & Wellness Coordinator, (714) 879-3901 x 2309 or email@example.com
· Abigail Fuller, Women’s Resident Director & Wellness Coordinator, (714) 879-3901 x 1644 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Communication with Faculty & Staff
Since the Fullerton and Anaheim campuses have been closed until further notice, the vast majority of faculty and staff have begun telecommuting from home in accordance with Governor Newsom’s stay at home executive order. The best way to reach faculty and staff is via email. Faculty and staff are adjusting to a new rhythm of workflow and are making every effort to respond to emails within 24 hours. We appreciate your patience as our faculty and staff adjust to telecommuting.
2020 Spring Commencement
The 2020 Spring Commencement will now take place on Saturday, August 8, 2020. Please stay tuned for more information as we get closer to August.
We are aware that many of you have made inquiries regarding refunds. Please expect a separate policy announcement regarding refunds this week.
We see evidence of what it means to be a Royal unfold each day as we hear stories your flexibility, creativity, perseverance and how the Lord is working through the circumstances we’re all facing under the promise we all have from Him in Romans 8:28. We will get through this together! We are Royals!
Dr. Paul H. Alexander
--Office of the President