Tax Information

**This information is to be used only as a guide. Filing federal and state income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student. Information provided is not a substitute for advice from the Internal Revenue Service or a qualified tax professional.

Tax Information for International Students at Hope International University

Tax Deadlines
April 17, 2018 (if you had income in 2017) OR
June 15, 2018 (if you had NO income in 2017)

All international students must file Form 8843, even if you did not work.

If you worked in 2017 and earned wages, you may be required to file a tax return. Tax returns are due by April 17, 2018 for the 2017 tax year. In general, you may be required to file taxes if you earned any income from wages in 2017. However, if you have income only from the following, you are not required to file:

  • foreign sources

  • interest income

  • a tax-free scholarship

  • certain types of tax-free investments

  • wages earned that did not exceed the personal exemption amount of $4,050

Depending on your situation, you may be required to file different forms. See the table below to determine which form(s) you may be required to file.



F-1 Students


Arrived in the United States in 2018

You do not have to complete any forms for the 2017 tax year.


Was in the United States in 2017
Did NOT earn money/income in 2017

File Form 8843 by June 15, 2018.

Not needed

In the United States for all or part of the 2013-2017 year
Earned money/income 2017

File Form 8843, Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR
[NR= Non-Resident] by April 17, 2018

Form 540NR|[NR= Non-Resident]

Arrived in the United State in 2012 or earlier.
Earned money/income 2017.
If you have been in the U.S. more than 5 calendar years, you are considered a resident for tax purposes.

Form 1040EZ or 1040 by April 17, 2018.
[You are considered a Resident Alien for tax purposes]

Form 540


U.S. Tax Forms You May Receive What is it for?

IRS Form W-2

This is the most important document you need in order to file taxes. It is the standard tax form showing the total wages paid to an employee and the taxes withheld during the calendar year. It is prepared by an employer for each employee. Generally, it is distributed during the last week of January until the second week of February.

If you worked on campus at HIU in 2017, you should have received instructions in your e-mail on how to download your W-2. If you did not receive this e-mail or if you need help with your W-2, please contact Nancy Camacho, Payroll Specialist, at [email protected].

IRS Form 1095-B: Health Coverage

This form reports the type of health coverage you had. This form is not required to file a tax return. For questions regarding Form 1095-B, contact your insurance provider.

IRS Form 1099-INT: Interest Income

This form is issued by a U.S. bank and shows the interest received on deposits in their bank account. Bank interest is not taxable for non-resident aliens.

IRSF Form 1098-T: Tuition Statement

This form is issued by educational institutions in the U.S. to document educational expenses form each year. Non-residents for tax purposes are not eligible for these tax credits and cannot use this form.


Helpful Links

Basic Tax Information for International Students:

International Students: Learn About Filing Taxes

Tax Preparation Service for International Students:

Sprintax (Contact the ISP Office to receive your discount code!)

Federal Taxes:

Internal Revenue Service [IRS]

Foreign Students and Scholars page of IRS

Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

California State Taxes:

California Nonresidents and Part-Year Residents

Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

Find Your CA State Tax Forms & Instructions


Basic Tax Vocabulary


Any person who is not a United States citizen


Money for work performed; wages, salaries


Money earned by work or investments; wages, salaries, tips, some scholarship and fellowship grants


Statement filed [completed and submitted] by the individual taxpayer to the Internal Revenue Service and State of California


The taxation agency of the United States where you file your personal income tax return and report your immigration status.


Person temporarily in the United States on an F or J visa


All income, gain or loss from U.S. sources