All international students in the United States must file tax forms each year.
- All international students must file Form 8843, even if you did not work.
- If you worked on or off campus, you will receive a W2 form from your employer in January. The W2 form states exactly how much money you have earned the previous year, and how much money has already been taken out of your pay for tax purposes. You will use this form to help fill out tax Form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR in addition to Form 8843.
The above forms are mailed to:
Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0215
If you did not work in the U.S. during 2016 tax year, send the completed 8843 form by June 15. If you did work in the U.S. during the 2016 tax year, send the completed 8843 form along with Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ no later than April 18.
Unfortunately, staff members of International Student Programs are not trained to assist international students at Hope with their taxes. It is a complex issue because there are so many variables involved.
However, we do want to help you as much as we can! This page contains links to other websites that will help you determine what action(s) you should take. It is your responsibility to make sure that you follow the law. If you fail to file certain forms and/or pay taxes, you may face serious financial and/or immigration penalties.
Where can I find background information on tax issues for international students?
The IRS has a special section for International Taxpayers (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-students-and-scholars)..
Where can I find forms and publications for federal (IRS) and state (FTB) taxes?
www.irs.gov and www.ftb.ca.gov
Is there a website that specializes in helping international students?
Glacier Tax Prep and Sprintax are low-cost online tax preparation services specially designed for international students.
Which local companies can I go to for help with taxes?
H & R Block is the leading chain of tax return preparation offices. There are several local branches nearby:
- 128 W. Santa Fe, Placentia; Phone: (714) 524-7777
- 1826 N. Placentia, Placentia; Phone: (714) 577-9697
- 100 Brea Mall, Brea; Phone: (714) 990-6245
- 908 E. Imperial Hwy, Brea; Phone: (714) 529-0818
Where can I get free tax assistance?
- AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) – 101 West La Habra Blvd. Free tax assistance every Friday 9:00am-3:00pm. No appointments necessary. 562-905-9708
- Downtown Community Center, Anaheim – 250 East Center Street, Anaheim, CA 92805. Free tax assistance every Saturday. By appointment only. 714-765-4500
- La Mirada Activities Center AARP – 13810 La Mirada Blvd., La Mirada, CA. Free tax assistance every Thursday. Walk-ins welcome. 562-902-3160
- Parnell Park Department – 15390 Lambert Road, Whittier, CA 90604. Free tax assistance every Wednesday and Thursday. By appointment only. 562-567-9450
- Artesia Park AARP – 18750 Clarkdale Ave., Artesia, CA 90701. Free tax assistance every Monday from 1pm – 4pm. 562-860-3361