International graduate students at Hope will experience the US and the community of learning to be one that is unforgettable. With cultural activities, trips and assistance in acclimating to American culture, graduate students will develop friendships and meet students from over 40 different countries.
The following requirements must be met before being fully admitted to a graduate program at Hope International University:
- Academic Standing - US equivalent of a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA).
- English Language Proficiency - Students must meet one of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 86 (Internet based test). Hope's school code is 4614 or
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6.5 overall score band, with 6.0 minimum sub-score.
English language test waived for applicants from Commonwealth nations.
- Financial Statement - Students must be able to verify that they have the financial ability to support their stay in the U.S. An Affidavit of Financial Support and a current bank statement or official letter from the bank verifying the minimum balance as stated on the Affidavit of Financial Support.
If you can meet these requirements and are interested in applying to Hope International University, please begin the application process by completing the following documents:
- Application for Admission
- Apply online (you must have a credit card to pay the $40 application fee)
- Download and complete the application and send it in with a $40 application fee
- Two reference forms
- Official transcripts that are sent directly from the undergraduate college or university
- TOEFL or IELTS score
- SEVIS Application Form
- One-page (at least 250 word) essay describing why you want to study at Hope International University. Please send it to email@example.com
- Affidavit of Financial Support
- A current bank statement or official letter from the bank verifying a balance of $25,000.
International students may be eligible for departmental assistance or scholarships. These awards do not cover the entire cost of the program and one must be fully admitted to be considered.
It is Hope International University's policy that all international students must pay all tuition, room, board and fees in advance of enrollment for classes for their initial semester. The breakdown for fee payment is as follows:
Hope reserves the right to require one full academic year of tuition before issuing an I-20 document. At a minimum, as part of funding verification, an initial deposit of the total first semester's tuition must be paid in full to obtain the I-20. This advance payment will remain on the student account until the student arrives at Hope and will be used towards the first semester of tuition, room, board and fees. If the student is unable to attend Hope due to visa denial or some other reason, the money will be refunded after the arrival date on the I-20 has passed AND the original I-20 has been returned to Hope. In this case, immigration officials will be notified that the student's I-20 has been terminated.
When the student arrives on campus, he or she will be required to pay the remaining balance for the current semester of tuition, room, board, and fees prior to enrollment for classes. Following the required deposits and payments within the first semester, international students are to pay tuition, room, board and fees in full for each subsequent semester in order for registration to be processed.
After you have been accepted to Hope and made your deposit . . .
- You will receive your I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) from Hope
- The Designated School Official (DSO) will send you an immigration document known as the Form I-20AB Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status (I-20 for short!) or Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Exchange Student Status (or DS-2019 for short!).
- We cannot send you an I-20/DS-2019 until you are accepted and make your deposit. Hope International University is required by U.S. Federal law to determine through written application that you, the student, are qualified academically, linguistically, and financially to pursue an academic program at the University.
- Please allow 3 weeks from the time you have been accepted and made your deposit to receive your I-20/DS-2019.
- Do not make your interview appointment before you receive your I-20/DS-2019! Although the I-20/DS-2019 may reach you within a week of your deposit, there may be delays in mail service. If you need to overnight or rush your I-20/DS-2019, Hope reserves the right to ask the student to make up the cost.
- If you are curious as to how long it may take you to make an appointment with the U.S. Consulate or Embassy, see Visa Wait Times website.
- Be sure to keep the receipt for payment of this $100.00 fee to take to your interview appointment!
- Form I-20 (be sure to sign item #11) or DS-2019 (be sure to sign at the bottom)
- Completed visa applications (DS-156, DS-158, and, if applicable, DS-157).
- Receipt for visa application fee
- Receipt for SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 Fee
- Two 2"x 2" photographs in the prescribed format
- Valid Passport
- Documentary evidence of financial support (such as a sponsor or school scholarship letter)
- F-1 Students: Certified, original bank statement or statement of income
- Admission acceptance letter from Hope International University
- Any information that proves that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
- If you are granted your visa, keep all the above documents plus your visa to show when you enter the United States.
- If you are unable to obtain a visa, you must return your I-20/DS-2019 form to Hope International University's International Student Programs Office before we can issue you a refund of your deposit. The deposit will be refunded to the original sender and bank account in the country of origin.
Tips for Receiving a Student Visa to the United States (printable PDF document).
Visa Tips and Resources (printable PDF document)