On Campus Work

One privilege granted to F-1 students is the ability to work part time on campus. To find a job on campus, please contact the Career Services office at careerservices@hiu.edu or visit the office in the Lawson-Fulton Student Center.

Once you find a job, you must apply for a social security card. You may work for 20 hours a week during the semester and 40 hours a week during the official Christmas and summer holidays. But remember, the money you earn in the United States is subject to all United States tax laws!

Off Campus Work

F-1 students are not allowed to work off campus. Your purpose for being here is to study, not to work, and your visa status reflects this. Students with unforeseen economic hardship should apply to work on campus. If a student with unforeseen economic hardship cannot find an on-campus job, he or she can apply to work off-campus through the ISP Office.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Another privilege of being an F-1 student is the right to work for 12 months after completing your academic program here at Hope. To find out how, please print and use the OPT Application Process and make an appointment with the ISP office. You may find the I-765 form on-line here. The following guidelines apply to all international students who wish to take advantage of OPT:

  • Your job must be related to your academic studies
  • You may begin applying for OPT 120 days before you want to begin working, and you must apply for OPT before the program end date on your I-20.
  • You must begin working within 60 days after your academic program ends.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Some students at Hope qualify to get an off-campus job for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). If your academic program or major requires you to get an internship to graduate, you may qualify for CPT. To find out if this is true for you, please contact the ISP Office.