Hope International University participates in many excellent financial aid programs to assist students in fulfilling their higher education goals. The main types of aid are Scholarships, Grants, and Other Aid such as Loans or Work Study.

While many students will qualify for multiple sources of aid, Hope International University limits institutional grants and scholarships to one per student.

Cal Grants A & B (California State Grants)

File FAFSA, Hope FAQ and CSAC GPA verification form. All three forms must be postmarked by April 2nd. Cal Grants A: up to $9,358, Cal Grants B: up to $1,648.

Requirements: Based on GPA, California Residency, and financial need.

Learn more at California Student Aid Comission

Pell Grants (Federal)

File FAFSA, and Hope FAQ. Both forms are required. Award range up to a maximum of $7,395 depending on cost of attendance, financial need, and funding levels approved by the federal government.

Direct Loans (Federal)

The Direct Loan Program provides low-interest, long-term loans through the University. These funds must be REPAID. Funding for these loans comes from bank lenders. These loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized.

To be eligible to borrow a federal Direct Loan, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units undergraduate and 6 credential). If you drop below half-time during a semester, the remainder of your loan may be canceled.

If you decide to borrow a Federal Direct Loan, you will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note. Visit the following web site, http://www.studentloans.gov to complete the promissory note online. Special Note:First-time borrowers at HIU are required to complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session. Students may satisfy this requirement by completing an on-line session via the following web site http://www.studentloans.gov or students can attend an in-person session by calling our office at (714) 879- 3901, x2202 to schedule an appointment.

  • The federal maximums are:

    $3500 per academic year for the first year of undergraduate study; $4,500 per academic year for the second year of undergraduate study; $5,500 per academic year for the remaining years of undergraduate and credential study, up to a total of $23,000 subsidized.

The interest is fixed based on your disbursement date and changes annually. Repayment normally begins six months following graduation or when you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. Payments and length of repayment period depends on the size of your debt but must be a minimum of $600 per year. Please refer to https://studentaid.gov for more details. Under special circumstances, repayment of a Federal Direct Loan that is not in default may be deferred or canceled. Repayment, deferment and cancellation are handled by your lender or loan servicing center. If you are eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, we have included one (either subsidized or unsubsidized or a combination of both) as part of your financial aid award.

Please refer to the following paragraphs to learn the differences between the subsidized and sunsubsidized Federal Direct Loans.

  • Subsidized Loan

    The amount of a subsidized Federal Direct Loan you can borrow is the difference between the cost of education and your resources (family contribution, financial aid, and any other assistance you receive from the school and outside sources). However, you cannot borrow more than the federal maximum. If you are eligible for a subsidized loan, the federal government pays the interest for you while you are enrolled at least half time.

  • Unsubsidized Loan

    The unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is awarded to students who do not qualify for the maximum subsidized loan eligibility. The unsubsidized loan can replace all or part of the family contribution. However, the amount of the loan cannot be more than the difference between the cost of education and any financial assistance you will receive from the school and any outside source (including the subsidized Federal Direct Loan).

If you are a dependent student, your total Federal Direct Loan (subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both) cannot exceed the annual and/or aggregate federal maximums for these loans. Interest will be charged beginning the day the loan is disbursed to you until the day the loan is repaid in full.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) provides funds to employ students (on-campus or off-campus in selected opportunities) who qualify for financial aid. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and demonstrate financial need (through the need-analysis process ). FWS awards typically range up to $2,000; however, requests for increases may be directed to the Financial Aid Office. Hourly wages are paid in compliance with minimum wage laws; students may work from 5 to 20 hours per week, depending upon the supervisor's need and the student's work-study award.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Federal Work Study awards will continue to be offered to students as long as funds and job opportunities are available. Federal Work study employment is coordinated through the office of Human Resources and students must fill out a FWS Job Application via the Hope FWS Job Application link listed above. The Financial Aid Office will award the FWS funds upon receipt of notification that the FWS Job Application has been submitted to Human Resources.

PLUS Loans (Federal Parent Loans)

PLUS loans are intended to provide a source of financial assistance to parents of dependent students. Parents (with satisfactory credit histories) may borrow up to the estimated cost of attendance each year, minus any financial aid awarded to the student. Interest begins to accrue immediately after the first disbursement. Repayment begins immediately after the final disbursement of the loan occurs, with the first payment due within 60 days. The fixed interest rate is 7.21%. If you are a dependent student and your parent does not qualify for a Federal PLUS loan, you may be eligible to borrow an additional unsubsidized Direct Loan. PLUS loan applications are available in the Financial Aid Office or parents may choose to apply online by visiting www.studentaid.gov.

Educational Private Loans

Compare private loan lender options before making a decision. (view information sheet).